Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Piggy Banks

My husband needed to give out a gift to co-workers and his employees at work. This year we gave out piggy banks. The banks had no character when we bought them, so I took Porcelaine Permanent Paint and gave the pigs, eyes, eyelashes (female) or eyebrows (male), and a personalized name on their butt.




Then we wrapped them up with cellophane and a bow and they were ready to go.



I made a few others that were given to a niece and nephew. They got dolled up a bit more with blue polka dots and red swirly dots in addition to the eyes and names. The paint is wonderful and comes in a wide variety of colors, available at Michael's Craft Store. Once it is applied you let it dry for 24 hours and bake it in the oven. After it has baked in the oven, it is microwave and dishwasher safe. Not so important when it is on a piggy bank, but great when you put it on a ceramic dish of some sort.

Another cool thing that I learned... I have had this paint for several years and one small bottle goes a looooong way. It hasn't run out and it hasn't gone bad either. But this year, when I went to go buy some other colors I discovered that the paint was available in pen form. It was great for writing the names on the back of the pigs, and even for drawing in some of the eyes. I made the eyes a variety of colors so they each had their own personality.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...