Monday, March 2, 2009

Shamrocks

I made these shamrocks for St. Patty's Day. Sometimes this fun holiday gets overlooked since it is squeezed between Valentines day and Easter. But it is still fun. I found these wooden shamrocks at The Wood Connection Craft store in Murray. They have lots of fun wood projects.

First I had to sand the wood and I gave the edges a roundish edge, but still a little bit square.


The large shamrock is painted the lightest color... I took the Fresh Foliage and added white to it to create a lighter color. Then let the first coat dry. After applying the second coat, while the paint was still wet I sprinkled a green glitter on the paint and let it dry. Then I floated the edge with a darker color paint. Finally the glitter seemed too thick so I sanded it down a bit and a little on the edge too to soften the floated edge. Same process for each shamrock, with different paint colors.

The medium shamrock is painted the darkest color. I took the Old Ivy paint color and added the darkest woodland green to it to give it a darker tint. On the second coat I added the glitter, just as before, and floated the edge with the lightest color that was put on the large shamrock.

For the smallest shamrock, I painted it with the Fresh Foliage, but darkened it a bit with the Old Ivy. Added the glitter, the floated edge... and they were done!

These small shamrocks I just painted with two coats of Fresh Foliage, applied the glitter while wet and then didn't sand them. So they ended up with a thicker coat of glitter, plus I painted and put glitter on both sides.


Here are the paints that I used. Apple Barrel White and Apple Barrel Woodland Green, FolkArt Old Ivy and Fresh Foliage. I used these four colors and created colors that all matched.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...