Monday, March 23, 2009

Whole Wheat Pancakes


"We're under attack! We're under attack! Intruder! Intruder! Make her stop!"



Calm down folks, I have been given a special ticket. A special ticket good for as many posts as I want. Sonya may change her mind on this one after all. (Please don't take my ticket away.)



For my first post I present WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES. These are a family favorite. One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it is a no mess, no fuss kind of meal as it is all made in the blender. Another great thing about it, it is made from whole wheat kernels. Can we say food storage in use?!



Without further ado...the pancakes.



2 cups milk (I use dry milk and water...more food storage)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat kernels
2 T. sugar or honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup oil
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla (optional)



Start with the kernels and milk in the blender. I happen to have a Cuisinart, so I put it on the "food processing" setting. If you have a different kind, make sure it is on a fast and strong and high setting. Blend for 4 minutes. It is loud and long, but at the end of 4 minutes all the kernels will be blended and the mixture will be smooth and somewhat thick.



Keep the blender going and add the rest of the ingredients. I don't add them in any particular order. I rotate the wet and dry trying to keep the mixture going. With too much dry in a row, the mixture will stop mixing well. If it is too thick and not moving and all is added, you can add a bit of milk or water. If the mixture seems too thin in the end, then add a bit of flour.



Now for the fun part. Here are a few extras I add to spice it up.
*one half up to one and a half bananas (this recipe is very lenient)
*cinnamon (ummm..1/4-1/2 tsp.)
*pumpkin puree (1/2 cup...I am guessing)
*1/4 c. applesauce or pear sauce (pear sauce is again a food storage, found at the wet cannery)
*get creative with anything else like blueberries, raspberries, etc.



This recipe makes lots of pancakes. I have never counted. I would say about....umm....25 pancakes. We always have leftovers. We store them in the fridge and either have pancakes the next several days, or make PBJ sandwiches with the pancakes. These also freeze really well.



Oh. In the picture below you see my set up for making. It can be pretty messy if you just pour out the batter from the blender. I use a 1/3 c. measuring cup to pour out each pancake. Much better!



I may be breaking policy here by posting children pictures. Aren't they cute though? This is the end result. Happy kiddos enjoying breakfast.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those pancakes look great and using food storage is so fabulous! By the way, there are NO rules on this blog... Just trying to share lots of great ideas and fun stuff for everyone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...