Monday, October 20, 2008

Decorative Balls


I have this cute little red bowl sitting on top of my shelf here in my work area and I was going to buy some cute decorative balls to put inside of it. Then I thought it would be better to make some myself. I made 8 different balls with a few different techniques. I wasn't sure how well they were going to turn out, but I think they look good.

One was made wrapping hemp around the styrofoam ball, just like you would wind up yarn into a ball. Quick and easy.

Three were made with Stampin' Up's ribbon and I carefully wrapped the ribbon around and around in a very neat pattern. There is one made from a double-stitched grosgrain ribbon, a plain blue grosgrain at 1/4 inch and then the green is grosgrain ribbon at 5/8 inch thick. The thicker ribbon went on more evenly and didn't create a dome shape at the top and bottom of the ball.

I used a Stampin' Up twill tape on another ball and used this same technique of carefully wrapping it, so it turned out good.

Then I used a 3/4 inch gray organza ribbon. I tried to wrap the ball carefully, but it didn't look right since the organza is see through. So I decided to wrap it like a ball of yarn and I twisted up the organza. Turned out different than the rest and that is what I wanted, a variety of different decorative balls.

Finally there are two made from discontinued Stampin' Up fancy fibers. I used a variety of the colors from the Soft Subtles selection and the Earth Elements. You can see the different layers when you look at it up close.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...